Sunday, May 8, 2011

Saturday, Day 2


I woke up at 7:15AM to my annoying alarm on my iPhone. As I lean over to check to see if my friends are still asleep, I’m surprised that they are already out of bed and ready to eat breakfast. I rush out of bed, change, and unwillingly leave my iPhone buried deep in my suitcase.

Mmmmm! Biscuits and gravy! Scrambled eggs with toast! I can’t remember the last time I actually sat down at a table and had breakfast, especially without my iPhone or the T.V. to steal my attention away while I ate. I realized that a well rounded conversation with other people that brings laughter, deep thought, or positive feedback is a requirement of life. The instant reaction of what you say, as opposed to when someone replies back to a comment you left on the internet, has a much more profound impact on the way that you think and they way you will answer back.

After breakfast we stroll along a beaten path through the mountainside, this path eventually led us to a rock climbing station. As I put on my red safety helmet and blue harness, I think to myself that it would be great to “Google” this event as I have never done it in my life. The thought of trial and error never crossed my mind, as I am used to finding answers or techniques over the internet. Oh well, guess I’ll have to rely on my awesome physical abilities. As the guide secures me on a line, I am beginning to get nervous. I reach for the first crack on the rock wall and start to pull myself up, placing my feet in holes to support my weight. I start to look like Spiderman hanging on for dear life only a mere 3 feet off the ground. It is surprising how well I am doing for the first ten feet. Then I reach a point where the wall starts to get slippery, there are no sturdy spots where I can get a firm grip. My legs are shaking uncontrollably, sweat is getting into my eyes, and now I’m beginning to think that I never really had any awesome physical abilities. I look down and that seals the deal. My heart instantly starts pounding out of my chest and now my hands are starting to get sweaty. I look at my guide and with a great big smile, give him a get me off of this rock look.

We take another stroll through the mountainside and now I’m thinking how great it is to be here. It’s a big change of scenery of my everyday life. I’m not on my iPhone, playing games, or watching television. I quickly realize that being out in the wilderness with no form of mass media doesn’t bother me at all. It’s funny how quickly I have adapted to my surroundings. Maybe it is this easy because I am constantly busy.

We eventually stumble upon a zip line station. I am actually happy to see this station because I’ve done it before. Finally we reach the end of the line and are secured to the zip line. Hearing the sound of the zip line trolley screeching along the wire line brings music to my ears. I feel like I’m gliding across a long valley with no worries in the world. With my arms and legs spread out like a starfish and my head hanging back, I look into the blue sky and enjoy the silence of life for about 30 seconds.

Another hike through the mountainside brings us to a much more exciting event. Skeet Shooting! I look into the distance and see an orange disk spinning in the air. Then immediately after it’s released, the orange disk bursts into pieces. I wait for my turn and while I wait under the hot sun I chug down three bottles of water. I am tired and I have no clue on what to do with my time while I wait to shoot a shotgun. I catch myself reaching into my pocket for my phone. I have forgotten that I buried it deep into my suitcase. But this hot sun is now making me want to go to my air conditioned cottage and play a game on my iPhone. Finally it’s my turn and we each get six shots. I don’t’ even see the first disk fly up in the air. I point and shoot. BANG! My right shoulder is forced back and my eyes are wide open. I’m eagerly searching for the disk. Then I see it floating away in the distance. My guide tells me that I missed high. Shots 2 through 5 are the same. The image of an orange disk slowly floating away from me is seared in my brain. Last shot! PULL! This time I see the disk release. I quickly follow the disk in my sights. BANG! I hear a cheer from behind me and as I open my eyes I see a small piece of the disk change directions and the bigger remaining piece of the orange disk topple over towards the ground. Yes! I finally hit one. One out of six is not bad.

By the time we get back to the camp it’s starting to get dark. They have a coffee shop and my girlfriend’s brother and I decide to get a coffee. While I look over the menu I see that they also have smoothies. After a long day in the sun a smoothie will definitely hit the spot. While we wait for our drinks I spot a Chess board and invite my friend to a game. I quickly beat him in about 5 minutes, our second game another victory in 10 minutes. He says, “One more game.” This time I’m nervous because my luck is bound to run out. I guess I had one more in me because it only took me about another 15 minutes to defeat my opponent. Let the smack talking begin. Then I think wait, I’m in the middle of the wilderness with the closest sign of civilization was that Garven Store 23 miles away.

I had a very eventful day without any sort of mass communication to wastefully occupy my time. Even though I have survived almost 24 hours, I still couldn’t wait till the next day when we would be packing to go home.

I take out my iPhone and put it in my pocket, but turned off. We begin the drive home and make another pit stop at the Garven Store. This time we get ½ pound brisket sandwiches on a sesame seed bun with homemade BBQ sauce. It was so good that I didn’t say a word until I was finished.

I am looking out of the passenger side window watching trees pass by; I spot a radio tower and tell the driver to turn on the radio. Then I see a cell phone tower. I pull out my iPhone. Turn it on to check all of my missed texts, emails, and catch up on my Valor game. For the next couple of hours I’m glued to my phone and distance myself away from reality. It is funny how quickly I adapt to my surroundings and fall back to my everyday habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment