Monday, May 9, 2011

DAY 2 - Mother's Day

So my day two of the media deprivation project was on Mother's Day. I thought, for sure that today would be way easier than yesterday just because I had planned the whole day outside in the pool with the family. Thankfully, once again I didn't need an alarm for this Sunday morning so I just woke up when my little boy was ready. I left my phone in my room again and began the day. First, my dad cooked my mother and me a delicious Mother's Day breakfast and we opened the small little gifts we had gotten each other. As we were sitting at the table my mom's phone kept going off with text messages from family and friends wishing her a Happy Mother's Day. This of course got my mind wondering who had texted me. Instead of looking at my phone, I got ready to swim, along with my son. We went outside and of course, my dad had the music blaring. I really wasn't going to put a damper on everyone's day by saying no music! I just couldn't do it. (haha) Eventually, my son started to get very sleepy so I retreated back into the house to put him asleep. This is where I broke. As I laid down to take a nap, I reached over to my phone and started reading and responding to all the mother's days texts I had received. I didn't want to be rude to all the very nice people who had texted me. It was out of pure common courtesy that I was forced to text, if you'll believe that of course. Once we woke up from our nap, we went back outside to eat and enjoy the rest of the day. By the end of the day, yes, I watched TV with my mother. It's really amazing how much media goes on in our daily lives. I would love to say that I don't need any sort of media but I think I would go a little crazy without them. I did discover, like I mentioned in the previous post that it was way harder to be deprived from the radio and TV than it was to be texting. Also, I cheated and got on Facebook, but like I said, it was out of pure common courtesy to wish all the mothers who had wished me a happy mother's day. I think and hope that one day I could go a good while without texting, Facebook, or TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment